Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

What a weekend!

First off, let me start by saying that the purpose of this blog is to document the things we experience throughout this pregnancy, the good and the bad, so I'm sorry if I give too much information or gross details.  If you don't want to know, don't read it.  If you want all the messy details... read on.


We had quite an eventful weekend.  Saturday started off completely normal. Michael and I went to our favorite little restaurant for lunch.  When we returned from lunch I noticed that I had some spotting, but didn't think much of it since it is common after sex during pregnancy. The day continued and I continued to spot. I felt like it should stop soon and that it was probably nothing to worry about.  We went to dinner at my Grandma's house for Christmas eve.  The original plan was to tell the extended family about the pregnancy at Christmas dinner, but I felt a little hesitant about it because of the bleeding.  We ended up telling my aunt and uncle, who were very excited for us.  After dinner I asked my mom if she ever experienced any bleeding during her pregnancy.  She said that she did for a few days, but that she didn't think much of it.  I, on the other hand, was beginning to freak out about it. So I decided that if it didn't stop by the morning I would call my midwife to see what she thought I should do.


I woke up Christmas morning at 4am and unfortunately was still bleeding.  It wasn't a ton of blood but seeing blood at all when you are not supposed to see blood is pretty scary. I thought that it probably would be nicer to wait until a more normal hour to call the midwife, so i waited until 8:30 to call her. I am so thankful she gave me her cell phone number at our last visit.  She said that no bleeding is normal, but that it is common after sex to experience some bleeding. She said that I shouldn't be really concerned unless it was a ton of blood, running a fever of 100.4 or higher, or had really painful cramps. She said that if it were a normal business day she would have me come in to her office and she would do an ultrasound to make sure that everything was ok. Her office is closed until Tuesday so she said if I didn't feel comfortable waiting until then that I could go to Winnie Palmer Hospital to get checked out.  She told me to just take it easy, rest, and stay off my feet. 


We went to Michael's parents house to open Christmas presents and by the time we were done I was in a lot of pain.  I was experiencing cramps worse than you would on your period and I was still bleeding and I was really scared that I might be having a miscarriage. We decided to go to Winnie after all just so we could know something, one way or the other. Thankfully, since it was Christmas, there weren't too many people in the ER so we didn't have to wait very long to be seen.  One of the doctors checked everything out and told me that he saw some blood, but that I wasn't actively bleeding (which made me wonder "if I'm not actively bleeding, where is all this blood coming from?!").  He said that my cervix is closed which is a good thing and also did an ultrasound.  He was able to see the baby and see the heart beat.  He had a hard time getting the computer to be able to calculate the heart rate because it is still pretty early and the baby is small.  He counted the heart beats himself and said that the heart rate was 144.  He also said that the baby should be dated at 6 weeks and 4 days based on the size, rather than 7 weeks 5 days which is what I thought it was based off my last period.  He said that I would probably experience some more bleeding since he was in there checking things.  I asked how long I could expect to be bleeding and he said maybe 2 or 3 days.  He told me that it is called a "threatened abortion" which is not the most pleasant term, but that many women continue on to have healthy babies after experiencing what I experienced.  He didn't seem too worried about it though. And after much googling and researching I found that 50% of women continue with their pregnancies after a threatened abortion but that if a heart beat is seen then the rate climbs to 90% which is comforting... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.


When we were done at Winnie, we went to my mom's house to exchange gifts.  I used the bathroom while we were there and was very freaked out by the amount of blood I saw.  I was nervous about what I had seen before, but this time it was like double what it had been before. I figured it was just from the doctor poking around in there.  After going to my mom's we went back to Michael's parents house for Christmas dinner.  Michael and I decided that it would probably be best to wait to tell everyone since we weren't sure what was going on with the pregnancy yet.  I spent most of the evening just resting.  I did notice a really big clump of blood which really freaked me out, but I figured it was probably just a combination of the blood and the goo from being examined early (trying to stay positive since the doctor said everything was most likely fine).


Today there is still some bleeding, but less than I've had the past two days. I'm hoping that this will be done soon.  I'm going to call the doctor's office first thing tomorrow morning to see if they can get me in, just to check everything out and make sure I'm ok.  This has been an emotionally stressful few days and I'm praying that everything will be fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment