Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Exciting News!

On Thursday, December 1st when I got home from work I had this weird feeling that I should take a pregnancy test.  I hadn't even missed my period yet, but I just felt like I should take a test. After taking the test and waiting the required two minutes, I saw two lines.  One very faint line and the normal one that always shows up.  So of course I googled "very faint line on pregnancy test" to see if that was a real result or if maybe I had done the test wrong.  Everything I found said that if the second line shows up at all that means its positive. 


My heart began racing, in excitement and panic all at the same time, and I called Michael who was in Chicago for work. I told him I was freaking out and that there were two lines on the test, meaning that we were pregnant.  His response was "Oh cool".  "Really? That's it?",  I replied back to him and he said "well yeah... we've been trying. It was going to happen some time".  Man, I wish I had been that calm through the whole process.  So I tell him that I'm going to take another test in the morning just to make sure. 


That night after meeting with my Bible study group, I went to CVS and spent $40 on two different kinds of the digital pregnancy tests that clearly say "pregnant" or "not pregnant" and "yes +" or "no -".  I couldn't wait until the morning, so I tried one of each of the digital kind I had just purchased.  One said "pregnant" and the other said "no -".  Hmm... so two positives and one negative... now I don't know what to think.  After another visit to google, I learned that the test I took with the "no -" result is not able to read the hormones as early as the other tests so I thought to myself "Just try again in the morning."  


First thing the next morning, I took two more tests (a little crazy, I know!).  Both were positive. Ok, so now thats four positives and 1 negative.  Having a false positive is pretty rare, so having four false positives would be pretty unheard of. 
Here's the proof... one of many tests that I took
 I told my mom who asked if she could tell all of her friends.  I told her that maybe we should wait a few weeks first to make sure everything sticks. I still didn't want to get my hopes up until I had heard it from a doctor.  So I waited through the weekend and took a few more tests (yes, I know it's ridiculous) and called my ob/gyn on Monday morning to make an appointment.  The doctor's office scheduled my appointment for Friday and informed me that they no longer deliver babies any more, but that she can see me during my first trimester check ups.  Great... now I have to find a new doctor after I spent a long time researching and getting recommendations to find a doctor a few years back. It's funny how God throws in little curve balls every now and then.


This summer I had done a lot of research on deliveries and c-section rates, etc.... and decided that I would prefer to use a midwife rather than an ob/gyn whenever I got pregnant. So then when the time actually came I thought "eh... it will be too much work to switch from my current doctor to the midwife, and I really like my current doctor anyway so I guess I'll just stick with her instead of going the midwife route." And then boom, just like that, I'm informed my doctor no longer delivers so I need to find someone new.  So after scheduling my appointment with my normal doctor, I called the midwife and made an appointment there as well. 


At my first appointment, they did all the usual tests- pee in a cup, positive pregnancy test, blood tests.  She also did an ultrasound but told me that we might not see anything since it was so early (only 5 weeks along at that point). She saw a little black dot; I didn't see anything.  She's the professional, so I'll just take her word for it that she knows what she's looking for better than I do. She asked if I needed a recommendation for a new ob/gyn and I told her that I was seeing a midwife.  She knew of her and said that she was great which calmed my nerves greatly.  Everything came back normal in my blood tests and I found out my blood type (O+) which I had never known. I certainly didn't feel pregnant or any different so it was nice to have it confirmed through the blood tests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment