Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Audrey Kate's Birth Story

(I guess I should rename my blog since we are now a family of 4, but that can wait for later)

I had been having contractions frequently for a few days, but nothing that I was timing because they were so inconsistent.  I kept asking Betsy Grace when she thought the baby would come to which she replied “Next July”.  I explained that it was July and that the baby should be coming any day now.  I asked her what day she thought baby sister would come and she said “Saturday”.   Our birth bag had been packed for weeks and we had a waterproof cover on the mattress in case my water broke while we were asleep.  Everything was ready… we just had to wait for her to decide to make her appearance. 

Friday night we went to bed and I woke up around 4am on Saturday morning to a small gush of fluid.  Since this is also what occurred at the beginning of Betsy Grace’s birth, I figured my contractions would quickly escalate to a more normal pattern.  I called the midwife since they say to call any time you think your water has broken.  She told me to put on a pad and try to get some rest and to call her once things started progressing. 

I went back to bed and my contractions were coming every 5-10 minutes.  Our midwife, Rhonda, called me around 9am to check in on how I was doing.  I told her that my contractions were all over the place and that I had lost my mucus plug and was having some bloody discharge.  She told me to do pelvic tilts and stay on my hands and knees for thirty minutes to see if maybe the baby was just trying to get in the correct position.  She also suggested trying to briskly walk after that.  I did the hands and knees for a while which slowed my contractions and again they were very inconsistent.  It was like 97 degrees outside which to a pregnant woman feels like 120 degrees, so we decided to go walk in the Millennia Mall instead. 

We got to the mall around 10:30am and walked a few laps around.  My contractions would come and go, coming on strong when I walked quickly but when we stopped to rest, my contractions also stopped.  We had lunch after an hour and I ate a spicy chicken sandwich with pepperjack cheese even though I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food.  I thought maybe the spicy food would get things moving along.  We walked the mall some more after lunch and then headed home. 

Rhonda texted me to check in again and decided we should meet at the birth center at 3pm to form a game plan.  We had Michael’s mom and dad come over to watch Betsy Grace while we went to the birth center.  By the time we got to the birth center, my contractions were becoming pretty painful.  She checked me to see how far along I was and I was at 3cm.  She told us to go home, rest and relax, and see if things started moving forward. 

We had Michael’s parents take Betsy Grace to their house so we could be at the house to relax.  We watched a movie in bed and my contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes and were getting pretty intense.  Every time I would have a contraction my back would just ache so I had Michael begin to put pressure on my lower back during each one.  After about an hour I took a warm bath but it didn’t last very long.  Michael called Rhonda while I was in the tub and told her he thought we should come back to the birth center. 

We got to the birth center around 5:45pm and she took us to a birthing room and checked me again.  This time I was 6-7cm and ready to go.  Since I was having severe back pain during my contractions, she had me get back in the hands and knees position for a while.  After a few contractions she had me try lying on my side in the bed with an exercise ball between my knees while she got the birth tub filled up and ready to go. 

Once the tub was ready, I got in and leaned over the side.  The hot water felt so good, but I was still having severe back labor.  I needed Michael to press on my back during every contraction.  If my labor with Betsy Grace had been back labor like this one, there would have been no second child.  After being in the tub for a while, the intensity of my contractions increased and as much as I tried to stay calm and breathe through them, I was really in a ton of pain.  Back labor was unlike any type of pain I had ever experienced before.

During one of my contractions my water broke and then I was ready to push.  Her head began to crown and all I wanted was for her to get out!  After a few more contractions her head was out.  Rhonda and Shannon (who made it right as I was crowning) kept telling me not to push and to wait for my contraction but all I wanted to do was push her out.  It was super uncomfortable and I just wanted her out right then! A few pushes later she was finally out and in my arms at 8:52pm.  Her umbilical cord was really short but two pushes later my placenta was also out.  I was so glad to be done pushing and to finally be done with that.  As painful as it was, I was proud of myself for having a completely natural birth again.  You kind of feel like superwoman after knowing your body can handle that kind of pain.

The midwives asked if Michael wanted to cut the umbilical cord, to which he said no thank you, so I did it instead.  Then they got me out of the tub, cleaned off, and into the bed.  Audrey Kate nursed right a way for a few minutes before having skin to skin time with daddy while the midwives checked me over.  I had to get three stitches for a minor tear, which is the same as I had with Betsy Grace’s birth.  I was also bleeding more than they liked so I had a shot of pitocin to help slow the bleeding. 

I ate some dinner, which wasn’t very tasty since it was cold by the time I got to eat it and I really wasn’t hungry, while the midwives filled out paperwork and did all of their checks on the baby.  She weighed in at 7 pounds, 15.5 ounces but since she had pooped in the birth tub they rounded up to 8 pounds.  She was 20 and one-quarter inches long.  She had some facial bruising so they gave her the vitamin K shot..  Her apgar scores were 7 and 9. I was 39 weeks and 4 days along.  


We left the birth center around midnight to head home.  Mike and Betty had brought Betsy Grace back to our house so she could sleep in her own bed and not totally throw off her normal routine.  She was asleep when we got home but was so excited to meet her baby sister the next morning.  And Betsy Grace was right with her prediction of baby sister arriving on Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment